Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My husband and I are both veterans. I read it gets served…

My husband and I are...
My husband and I are both veterans. I read it gets served between 1957 and 1977 they should get $300.00/ mo. More in benefits. Is this true? We both served in this time period.
1/17/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Yes - that information is correct.

But please be sure your understanding is correct - that is NOT $300 increase in social security benefit - but $300 increase in earning which is used to calculate your social security benefits.

Specifically

If you served in the military after 1956, you paid Social Security taxes on those earnings. Since 1988, inactive duty service in the Armed Forces reserves (such as weekend drills) has also been covered by Social Security.

Under certain circumstances, special extra earnings for periods of active duty from 1957 through 2001 can also be credited to your Social Security earnings record for benefit purposes.

• From 1957 through 1967, the SSA will will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
  • From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
  • After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

The information that follows explains how you can get credit for special extra earnings and applies only to active duty military service earnings from 1957 through 2001.

• From 1957 through 1977, you are credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.
  • From 1978 through 2001, For every $300 in active duty basic pay, you are credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year. If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, and didn’t complete at least 24 months of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive the additional earnings.

You may want to contact the SSA and verify if these credits are reflected on your account.

Otherwise - if you provided full information about your service on SSA application - all calculations should be correct.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got it!

How do I rate an answer?
You can give your rating by selecting one of the five faces located under each answer.
Giving a positive rating compensates the Expert for their time with you.
If the value of your question is more than the value of your deposit, then your deposit will be applied toward the balance due and the remainder will be debited from your previously specified payment method.
Please remember that your Expert will not be paid until you leave a positive rating for the answer.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor