Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I reach my Social Security Full Retirement Age on March

12th. 1. If I apply for...
I reach my Social Security Full Retirement Age on March 12th.
1. If I apply for my Social Security benefits to begin in March, will I be receiving my FRA benefit?
2. I would receive my first FRA benefit payment in April, correct?
3. I don’t have to wait to begin Social Security benefits until April to receive FRA benefit?
1/16/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your FRA - full retirement age is 66

If you reach FRA in the middle of March - you will be eligible for full social security benefits starting April - and these benefits will be paid in May

Specifically - on Third Wednesday - May 16

See here

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2018.pdf

You should apply three months before you want your benefits to start.

On your application - you will need to select the month when you want your social security benefits to start.

Let me now if you need any help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, so I have started my application for benefits, but not yet completed. When completing the application online at SSA.gov, I chose to have "Reduced Benefits: Earliest month possible without a permanent age-related reduction." When asked when I wanted benefits to begin, I am given a choice of 3/2018, 4/2018, or 5/2018. You are saying that I should choose 4/28?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I mean - I should choose 4/2018?

If you start benefits before reaching your FRA - your benefits are permanently reduced - depending on the number of months you start earlier.

But you would be getting benefits for longer period.

If you were born on the 1st of the month, the SSA figures your benefit (and your full retirement age) as if your birthday was in the previous month.

But because your birthday in the middle of the month - you are correct - the first month you are eligible fro unrestricted benefits is 4/2018.

SSA does not make partial month payments. Social Security benefits are paid monthly, starting in the month AFTER the birthday.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, sounds good. One clarification - Your last statement says -
"SSA does not make partial month payments. Social Security benefits are paid monthly, starting in the month AFTER the birthday."
Did you mean to say that benefits are paid monthly, starting in the month after BENEFITS BEGIN.
In my case, benefits would begin in April, and paid in May.

Yes - that is correct.

You will be eligible for full social security benefits starting April (the month you will be FRA all month) - and these benefits will be paid in May

Specifically based on your birthday - on Third Wednesday - May 16

See here

https://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/cfr20/404/404-0102.htm

Age means how many years old you are. You reach a particular age on the day before your birthday. For example, if your sixty-second birthday is ***** July 1, 1979, you became age 62 on June 30, 1979.

You may also find interesting the following discussion and real life examples

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122234

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great - thanks.
lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor