Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 63 and divorced since 2012. I am working full time. I…

Customer Question
I am 63 and...

I am 63 and divorced since 2012. I am working full time. I was married for 35 years. My ex-husband is 62. Can I collect any social security benefits through him at this time.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I plan to work until I am 70. Can I collect any of my ex-husbands social security benefits until I reach 70?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No - I just would like to know if I can collect anything from him. I know that there are earnings caps on my part.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/15/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

In your specific situation - when you apply for benefits - ONLY those who were born before 1954 may restrict their benefits to spousal benefits only and allow their own benefits to grow.

That option is not available for you. Sorry if you expected differently.

Another issue - to qualify for spousal benefits - your spouse (or ex-spouse) must actually start his benefits - otherwise - you will not be eligible until he reaches his FRA - full retirement age.

Let me know if any clarification needed.