Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I WORKED ALMOST 4 YEARS nights in a hospital putting my 1st…

Customer Question
I WORKED ALMOST 4...

I WORKED ALMOST 4 YEARS nights in a hospital putting my 1st HUSBAND THROUGH college I gave birth to my 1st child during that time and went back to work when he was 3 weeks old. When he graduated I followed him on his 1st job in a rural community where there were no jobs, by that time I had another child by C section, and then another. When his job took us to another town, where his boss told us that he did not wan wives working. I then finished my education, and taught school for 3 years, we separated and Divorced after 20 years of marriage, because of his physical abuse, I was tired of broken ribs and black eyes. I went to work for Comp Care for several years, and then for a trucking company in Florida. Since I taught school for only 20 years I was told I could not draw any SS. My retirement from 20 years is not enough to live on Why should I not be allowed to draw some SS from my 1st husband 4 Children and 20 years of marriage.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I have been married 28 years to my current husband, no children.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
1/13/2018
Social Security Expert: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to answer your question.

First of all, let me say that I understand your situation. I stayed in an abusive relationship for almost 20 years for the sake of my kids. I sacrificed to put my ex-wife through school while she got her Master's degree, and I will never reap any of the fruits from that hard work and sacrifice.

Unfortunately, under the Social Security rules, in order to qualify to receive any benefits from a former spouse's account, you need to have been married for more than 10 years (which you were) but you cannot have remarried (you did). So, since you got remarried, you are no longer able to collect benefits from your former spouse's account.

If your teaching was covered by Social Security then you should be able to collect from it. You only need 10 years' work history to "vest" and qualify. If your teaching was not covered by Social Security (many state education systems have their own "social security equivalent" instead of Social Security) the amount that you receive from your school's pension should be as good or better than Social Security. And with 20 years' service, you have more than enough time to qualify for a pension.

In summary, the reason you cannot collect from your ex-husband's account is not a time issue, but because you were remarried. And congratulations on that! 28 years is a long time, you must be happy.

I hope that I have answered your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

I have not heard from you. Do you have any questions?

I believe we talked on the telephone Are you the same person?

If so, can you please rate me on this question? That is how questions are closed.

If not, can you please rate me based on my answer to the question above?

Thanks!

taxmanrog
taxmanrog