Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My son receives social security survivor benefits as my

Hello, My son receives social...
Hello, My son receives social security survivor benefits as my husband passed away 7 years ago. I have been saving them in a representative payee account for college. I just recently learned that when he turns 18, Social Security will ask for the unused funds back. Is this correct? If so, I need to spend it down as much as possible in his last two years and save my own moneys for his college.
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/11/2018
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

SSA may permit a former payee (you) to transfer conserved funds directly to a new payee or to a capable beneficiary (your son) rather than returning them to SSA if it serves the best interest of the beneficiary. SSA will allow such transfers on a case-by-case basis.

Here is a good example: A mother with custody serves as payee for her son. She reports that he is capable of managing his money and will be living alone. They visit the field office and the beneficiary applies to be his or her own payee. The mother wants to give the conserved funds directly to the beneficiary to pay for the deposit on the apartment and for utilities. The beneficiary needs the direct transfer as soon as possible so that he does not lose the apartment to another renter. Direct transfer to the beneficiary may serve the beneficiary’s best interest.

I'm ok leaving the money in this account - it will definitely go to him?

That is what the SSA information advises.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0200603055

TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer