Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Problem in collecting Social Security Benefits one year

Customer Question
before age of full retirement.I...
Problem in collecting Social Security Benefits one year before age of full retirement.I wanted to retire one year early on my 65th birthday the day of November 23, 2017 (actually I retired on November 30th by quitting my fulltime job on November 30th which I told SS what I would do). I went down twice to the Social Security Office in August 2017 (3 months prior) and soon received an awards letter declaring I would receive 1,380.00 for 2017 and 1,648.00 on or about the fourth Wednesday of each month.However, on the last week of December 2017, I received another letter from the Social Security Office stating: “We cannot pay benefits because of your work (which I had quit on November 2017).“We base the amount of Social Security benefits you are due on your estimate earnings. In 2017, your earnings estimate “$66,000.00 (from the job I just quit). Unless you contact us with a new estimate, we will use that same estimate to decide your new benefits for 2018.”Well I did go down to the Social Security Office on December 28, 2017 and told them I was not working at all, but was looking for a part-time job. The Social Security Office worker typed something in and said she had fixed the problem and to wait for a new awards letter.I received one on the January 8, 2018 stating: “We cannot pay you your regular monthly benefit at this time. We are writing to you about your work and earnings for 2017. Our records show that you expect to earn $62, 574.00 in 2017. (What has this got to do retiring on the 30th of November, and for that matter it is now 2018?)I am 65 and I want to retire NOW, RIGHT NOW! I think this is nothing but fraud on the part of Social Security! I was forced to take a job for a part-time at 13.50 an hour working 3 days a week for a yearly total of $16,484.00 a year. I want my Social Security benefits or have I been denied them as well as my veteran medical benefits were?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/9/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

The issue here is that the SSA received information about your annual incomer.

All you need - to contact the SSA and tell them - ALL that income you received BEFORE the month you retired.

In this case you will be entitled for benefits.

Bring your last paystub.

Let me know if you need any help.

I did do that back in December!!!
Problem in collecting Social Security Benefits one year before age of full retirement.I wanted to retire one year early on my 65th birthday the day of November 23, 2017 (actually I retired on November 30th by quitting my fulltime job on November 30th which I told SS what I would do). I went downtwice to the Social Security Office in August 2017 (3 months prior) and soon received an awards letter declaring I would receive 1,380.00 for 2017 and 1,648.00 on or about the fourth Wednesday of each month.However, on the last week of December 2017, I received another letter from the Social Security Office stating: “We cannot pay benefits because of your work (which I had quit on November 2017).“We base the amount of Social Security benefits you are due on your estimate earnings. In 2017, your earnings estimate “$66,000.00 (from the job I just quit). Unless you contact us with a new estimate, we will use that same estimate to decide your new benefits for 2018.”Well I did go down to the Social Security Office on December 28, 2017 with a pay stub and other documentation to show I had indeed retired and told them I was not working at all, but was looking for a part-time job. The Social Security Office worker typed something in and said she had fixed the problem and to wait for a new awards letter.I received one on the January 8, 2018 stating: “We cannot pay you your regular monthly benefit at this time. We are writing to you about your work and earnings for 2017. Our records show that you expect to earn $62, 574.00 in 2017. (What has this got to do retiring on the 30th of November, and for that matter it is now 2018?)I am 65 and I want to retire NOW, RIGHT NOW! I think this is nothing but fraud on the part of Social Security! I was forced to take a job for a part-time at 13.50 an hour working 3 days a week for a yearly total of $16,484.00 a year. I want my Social Security benefits or have I been denied them as well as my veteran medical benefits were?