Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to change the city and state that is on my form as it…

Customer Question
I need to change...

I need to change the city and state that is on my form as it was listed incorrect.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

When I applied, I told the man who took our information that my husband was born in Covington Kentucky. He put it in as to where we were married. We were married in Knox IN at the Methodist church Oct 31, 1981.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/9/2018
Social Security Expert: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 months ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security so we do not have access to your personal information.

You can update your information in one of three ways:

1. Use your online "My Social Security" account. If you do not yet have an online account, you can register here: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

2. Call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

3. Visit your local Social Security office.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Fred

Thanks, ***** ***** know these answers.
Social Security Expert: James Daloisio, Tax Attorney replied 3 months ago
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney

Hi, my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer.

It seems you were a step ahead of us with the previous expert, although he did give you the most accurate advice concerning how to contact the SSA.

I am going to presume that you applied for benefits. If in fact your place of birth information is wrong on that application, it will most likely conflict with the information already on file.

1. You said that you need to change the city and state "that is on my form." What form are you referring to?

2. You said "When I applied." What were you applying for?

Makes a difference because Social Security has many forms for specific uses. The basic Social Security information/card application form is SS-5, and there is no place on that form for information relating to your marital status, which leads me to believe you're referring to your benefits application. My suggestion is to prepare an SS-5 and take it to your local office along with a birth certificate and/or passport. That will assure the correct information gets updated.

You can download SS-5 here: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf. Line 3 requests your place and date of birth.

and you can find the address, hours, and directions to your local office by using their office locator tool, here: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

It's usually a good idea to call and make an appointment using the number and info provided by the previous expert.

Hope that helped. Let me just emphasize that in this situation the best way to correct the matter is go to your local office.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

James Daloisio
James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney