Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH INCOME TAX IS TAKEN OUT OF MY…

Customer Question
I WOULD LIKE TO...

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MUCH INCOME TAX IS TAKEN OUT OF MY SS CHECK. MY SS # IS ***3

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I JUST NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH INCOME TAX IS DEDUCTED FROM MY SOCIAL SECURITY CHECK EACH MONTH. MY SS # IS ***43 I KNOW IT IS A VOLUNTARY THING CAN YOU TELL ME PLEASE

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

WE ARE RETIRED AND LIVE ON THIS CHECK (MY HUSBAND GETS ONE ALSO) WE ARE TRYING TO MAYBE GET MY INCOME AND WONDERED IF WE STOPPED HAVING INCOME TAX TAKEN OUT IF IT MIGHT HELP SOMEWHAT.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/9/2018
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Just Answer is not associated with Social Security so we do not have access to your personal information.

You are correct. Having federal taxes withheld from your Social Security payments is completely voluntary.

The best way to determine if you have taxes withheld is to look at your SSA-1099 that you receive each year. If there is an amount in Box 6, you are having taxes withheld.

If you are having taxes withheld, you will need to complete Form W-4V and check the box next to "I want you to stop withholding federal income tax from my payments."

Mail or bring the form to your local Social Security office.

Here's the form: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.