Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

What is a past due premium. I have a notice about my 2018…

Customer Question
What is a past...

What is a past due premium

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have a notice about my 2018 social security which includes a note under Information about Medicare. We are deducting past due premiums. I should not have any past due premiums.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I received help this past year for a few months. My premium was paid by the state because of medical bills. I did notify the DHS office here that I no longer needed the help as the medical bills were now paid.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/9/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

The “Medicare Premium Bill” (CMS-500) is a bill for people who pay Medicare directly for their Part A premium, Part B premium, and/or Part D IRMAA (an extra amount in addition to the Medicare Part D premium).

Normally you woudl get it on or about the 10th of the month when the bill is due.

It seems that your Medicare premiums were NOT paid.

It is hard to determine why - but do not delay - your plan can choose to disenroll you for not payments of plan premiums after proper notice and the plan’s grace period (which must be at least 2 months).

.

If you are not able to resolve the issue within that period - I suggest to pay anyway to avoid dis-enrollment and continue your investigation.

You can call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800_633_4227) TTY 1-877_325_0778.

If your bank offers an online bill payment service, you can use it to pay your Medicare premiums electronically. You can also pay by check, money order, or credit card. Or, sign up for Medicare Easy Pay, a free service that automatically deducts your premium payments from your savings or checking account each month.