Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I would like information on planners/retirement.html, It…

Customer Question
I would like information...

I would like information on planners/retirement.html

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

It says that if you served on active duty between 1968 to 2001 you could be eligible for additional SS for each year of active duty during this period and I had 7 years of active duty.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Part of the time was in Vietnam?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
1/8/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your Social Security benefit depends on your earnings, averaged over your working lifetime.

Under certain circumstances special earnings can be credited to your military pay record for Social Security purposes.

The information that follows explains how you can get credit for special extra earnings and applies only to active duty military service earnings from 1957 through 2001.
• From 1957 through 1977, you’re credited with $300 in additional earnings for each calendar quarter in which you received active duty basic pay.
• From 1978 through 2001, for every $300 in active duty basic pay, you’re credited with an additional $100 in earnings up to a maximum of $1,200 a year.
If you enlisted after September 7, 1980, and didn’t complete at least 24 months of active duty or your full tour, you may not be able to receive the additional earnings.

Questions?

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor