Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

If I was married 20 years and then got a divorce, am I

Customer Question
If I was married...

If I was married 20 years and then got a divorce, am I entitled to any of my exes benefits? I collect my own benefits and have been doing so for many years.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I just found out that this happens. He had been deceased. But I can't tell you when. I do have his Social Security number.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

What kind of information would I need to find out if I am eligable?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
1/8/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If you are the divorced spouse of a worker who dies, you could get benefits just the same as a widow or widower, provided that your marriage lasted 10 years or more.

You may not apply for surviving benefits online - and will need to contact the SSA - either call or visit any SSA office.

You will need your marriage and divorce certificates and SSNs for you and your ex-spouse.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local office serving your area.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor