Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 65 yrs old and seeking info if i retire at age 66. iam…

Customer Question
I am 65 yrs...

I am 65 yrs old and seeking info if i retire at age 66. iam currently still working but looking to retire at the end of this yr. need to know what i would recieve and about gov medicade.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you need to know

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

No not that i know of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/8/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

In general - you need to enroll into Medicare as soon as you reach 65.

However - if you are working and are covered by the health insurance at your job - you may delay that enrollment.

Once the employment (or your employer/union coverage) ends - you have 8 months to sign up for Medicare without penalty.

.

Regarding your retirement benefits - you will be eligible for full benefits at 66 - which is your FRA - full retirement age.

Full retirement age is the age at which a person may first become entitled to full or unreduced retirement benefits.

if i make 58000 a yr what would my estimated benefit be
looking to retire. can't afford that call.

We may continue to talk on this page - do not worry.

You may use detailed calculator - and enter your wages which were subject of social security taxes - and will enter your future wages as zero - that way - we may verify your possible benefits.

Here is the calculator you may use - http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/AnypiaApplet.html

Your retirement benefit is based on your highest 35 years of earnings and your age when you start receiving benefits.

For workers with more than 35 years of covered wages, the Average Indexed Monthly Earnings will only take the average of the 35 highest years of indexed covered wages. This figure is then divided by 12 to get a monthly rate.

If you do not have information about your past earning - you will need to order your SSA statement

Here is an example how it should look

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/materials/pdfs/SSA-7005-SM-SI%20Wanda%20Worker%20Near%20retirement.pdf

Let me know if you need help with calculations.