Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Initially, when I signed up SSA told me I would get

Customer Question
Initially, when I signed...

Initially, when I signed up SSA told me I would get $691.00/month on the second Wednesday of each month. I received a letter last month and they now tell me I will receive $705,00/month on the 3rd of the month. Is this typical when someone just signs up and when they establish the account and recalculate?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Also, my ex-husband just turned 62 yrs. last Friday, January 5th. How do I get the ball rolling to get half of his social security?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
1/8/2018
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 1 month ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

HI. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

There was 2% for 2018, that's the additional $16. Your deposit schedule depends on your birthday. Here's the 2018 schedule: https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2018.pdf

When you applied for your benefits, have you provided information about your ex-husband? If yes, social security agent was required to check his records and determine benefits based on his records would result in higher benefits for you. What is your current age?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the SS agent was given my ex-husband's name, birth date and social security number. He asked his age and when he would be eligible which was last Friday, January 5th--he turned 62. The agent asked me if I could get his income information or did I want him to get that info. I want him to contact my ex--I have had too many Court cases with him and still have a couple cases pending--he took about 75% of my alimony away. We have an adult daughter with Down Syndrome--the ex was never around and took very little interest in her--my divorce attorney said I should be compensated the remainder of my life for the good job I did with Lindsay--and a special needs parent role never stops only when they take their last breath on earth. So, do I need to contact social security and ask them to get the ball rolling? By the way I turned 62 on the 8th of July 2017.

Social security should have his information on file. All you need is your marriage certificate and divorce decree. Because you applied at 62, your spousal benefits will be about 35% of what he will be eligible for at his full retirement age. If his lifetime earnings are much higher than yours, 35% of his benefits may be more than 100% of your benefits and you can switch to spousal benefits. Spousal benefits are not in addition to your own, it is one or another. You should also check if your daughter may be eligible for social security benefits since both of you are getting benefits.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser