Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If I am getting divoice after 25 years am I entitled to part…

Customer Question
If I am getting...

If I am getting divoice after 25 years am I entitled to part of my ex husband;s social serciurty

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Can I receive part of my husband ssi when divoice is final and keep it every month once I file on my own ssi at retirement age

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/7/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Yes, you simply have to be married for 10 years. If 50% of his benefit is higher than your own, they will tak you up to that higher amount.

...

Also, under the new laws passed in 2015, you can still file what's called a restricted application for the divorced spousal benefit and let your own benefit grow.

...

You can do this at full retirement age, as long as you were 62 or older in 2016 (born Jan 1 1954 or before)

(See the attached table)

...

But yes, you certainly qualify for the divorced spousal benefit because you were married for more than 10 years.

If you are old enough to file the restricted application, be sure to say "restrict the scope of this application to divorced spousal benefits only," in the remarks section at the end.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit"– That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

but will I be able to keep his when I apply for my full benefits when I'm 66

No we can never "stack benefits," as Social Security calls it ... They'll always take you up TO any higher benefit to which you are or become entitled, (They do this by paying a combination of the two).

...

And again, if you are old enough you CAN still suspend your own and let it grow (by 8% per year until age 70) while taking his.

...

But, so sorry, we can't add one benefit TO another.

Please let me know if you have any other questions AT ALL before rating me.

...

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit") … That’s the only way JustAnswer will compensate me for the work here.

...

Lane

Hi, Lane here.

...

I’m just checking back in to see how things are going.

...

Did my answer help?

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS