Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was married for approximately 25 years divorced in 2010, I…

Customer Question
I was married for...

I was married for approximately 25 years divorced in 2010 , I just turned 65 and applied for SS. Can I claim on half of his Even though he isn't retired at this point?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I typed my question

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/7/2018
Social Security Expert: TaxRobin, Tax Preparer replied 7 months ago
TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Your benefit as a divorced spouse is equal to one-half of your ex-spouse's full retirement amount if you start receiving benefits at your full retirement age.

If you are eligible on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then please scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.