Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I was active in the navy,1951-1955.am i entitled any

Customer Question
I was active in...

I was active in the navy,1951-1955.am i entitled any benefits to my ss

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was told that there are some benefits available for me?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My ss#is128265188 ,i guess i am interested ,should i be due any increase in my ss

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
1/7/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

If your active military service occurred

• From 1957 through 1967, the SSA will add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
  • From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
  • After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

For military service before 1957 - there are no specific adjustments.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was active 1951 thru1955,was there anything else I should tell.you.was that taken in consideration when I applied for ss

Earnings for active duty military service or active duty training have been covered under Social Security since 1957.

If you served in the military before 1957, you didn’t pay Social Security taxes, but the SSA gave you special credit for some of your service.

Here is the form - you need to prepare and send to the SSA

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-2512.pdf

You may send by mail or in person to any SSA office.

Let me know your zip code and I will provide a local SSA office serving your area.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
11702

Address***** WEST BABYLON, NY 11704

Phone:1-800_772_1213 TTY:1-800_325_0778

Hours:

Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor