Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I missed a meeting with social security after tring to call…

Customer Question
I missed a meeting...

I missed a meeting with social security after tring to call them and being told i had a wait time of 1 Hr. plus. At the time I had an unlimited plan. When I did get a rep on the phone, I was told that my SSI benefits were suspendened. I rescheduled the appointment. I have a lifeline phone and gave up 1.5 hr. of talk time. I am rescheduled for Jan 19, my 62. birthday. this is what they wat to talk about , from shifting me from SSi ( I am disabled) , I want to go to the local Office on Monday Jan 8th. as part of my handicap is nanxiety disorder. Should I do this or pay another 15 dollors for unlimited minutes - this is ruin my life - no letter from SS but one from Medicaid saying I am still covered but my benefits have been suspended. I have a mortgage as I own my house. what am I to do

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

How soon can I be reinstated - I plan to be at their office Monday morning not on the 19 of this mont when they have me scheduled - have a major anxiety did ord as documented in Va records. I need to KNOW NOW.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/7/2018
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 7 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

Ok, I can understand your stress!

Sounds like you have been disabled and due to lack of insured status for social security disability at the time you became disabled, and not earning it after, you only had SSI welfare as an option due to disability (not social security disability). Once you turn 62, if you have insured status for social security retirement, that means you finally get to take your social security. SSI, being entirely needs based, then considers all income you have access to, such as SS retirement (early at 62). So yes, the SSA seeks to start your early retirement earned by either your or a spouse, so you can have that income and then either stop your SSI or, if your SSR does not wipe it all out, give you the balance in SSI to get you up to the SSI amount.

So, yes, ideally you can get that done ASAP so that the transition from SSI to SSR will be as seamless as possible. But it is not clear you need to go in earlier. You didn't mention what month they said your SSI would stop due to SSD. However, If your bday is Jan., then you would not be due SSR until Feb, payable in Mar. So, your SSI stop date should not be Jan, or not even Feb, since you won't get your SSR til March (due for Feb.).

See here: "Please note that relatively few people can begin receiving a benefit at exact age 62 because a person must be 62 throughout the first month of retirement. Thus most early retirees begin at age 62 and 1 month." https://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/earlyretire.html

That said, if you go on Monday and they say they can't squeeze you in, try to get them to confirm for you that, indeed, the SSI will continue until Mar., and/or certainly not til the month you are actually going to be paid your social security. I don't get the sense that this will not work out properly.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costs nothing extra but tells company to give mecredit for my assistance to you today. I look forward to assisting you inthe future, should you have legalquestions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!