Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have been divorced for 8 years and am currently collecting…

I have been divorced for...
I have been divorced for 8 years and am currently collecting social security since I was 62. My ex-husband and I were married for 20+ years. Can I collect on my ex-husbands social security even though I am drawing my own? He has a larger SS benefit than mine.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you. In brief, you will not be able to draw his and yours, it's either one or the other, whose ever benefit is higher. Still writing...

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

If you are eligible for retirement benefits on your own record and divorced spouse’s benefits, we will pay the retirement benefit first. If the benefit on your ex-spouse’s record is higher, you will get an additional amount on your ex-spouse’s record so that the combination of benefits equals that higher amount.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/divspouse.html

-------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant