Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

The soc sec check for January 2008 was$ Prior 1178.oo, all…

Customer Question
The soc sec check...

The soc sec check for January 2008 was$ Prior 1178.oo, all last year my monthy check was$1449.00. I am a86 year old retired registered nurse. my husband died @7 years ago and I had been drawing on since then, why the sudden reduction of $271dollars this month[jan.2008?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I do know after my husband's death I drew some of his soc security because his salary was more than mine. Do you need my name?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/6/2018
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 6 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

Have you received the Social Security Form SSA-4926-SM (2018) yet? It is an all white form when unfolded is a couple of feet long.

That Form gives you the breakdown of your gross & net benefits for 2018.

You'll probably find that there has been an increase in your Medicare premiums for 2018. If so, a change of that magnitude would normally result from an increase in your income in the 2016 tax year. This may have been as a result from selling some stock at a capital gain or some other one-time payment of income from a prize or other windfall.

That would result in an increased Medicare premium for 2018. Also, depending upon what other deductions you have from your monthly Social Security benefits (other health insurance premiums, income tax withholding, etc.), those may have increased, reducing your net benefits.

Finally, if you don't receive the form noted above (SSA-4926-SM)(2018), the fastest way to obtain the information is to call (or visit) your local SSA office. I'll give you a link where, using your Zipcode, you can locate the address & telephone number of your closest local SSA office. Here's the link:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

Let me know if I can further assist you or if I can answer any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the site will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,