Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Can I draw my social security when I am 67 even if I only…

Customer Question
Can I draw my...

Can I draw my social security when I am 67 even if I only have 37 quarters?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not that I know of. I have retired from teaching for 30 years and am drawing my TRS.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/6/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 6 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, to clients on three continents, since 1986.

Bear with me a moment while I type up my response. Then if you have further questions we can go from there.

So sorry, no , we must have 40 quarters to receive a benefit.

...

The amount needed, however, for a quarter (SSA now calls these credits) is $1,320 in 2018, so if you can do that in three different quarters, (say in a part time job or small side business) you'll be there.

Can I draw my social security AND my TRS?

Social Security will reduce your social security under a provision in the law called WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) but may not eliminate it.

...

"The WEP reduction is limited to one-half of your pension from non-covered employment."

...

You can read more aboun the WEP provision here: https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/wep-chart.html