Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Received a letter stating I was overpaid 45 years ago

Customer Question
Received a letter stating...

Received a letter stating I was overpaid 45 years ago $290.00 dollars from my fathers death while going to college, now I'm receiving Social Security and receiving $800.00 and they want to take the over payment, unable to pay necessities on $600.00

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Who do I need to contact at SSA office

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/5/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

An overpayment occurs when Social Security pays you more than you should have been paid.

If you agree that you have been overpaid and are willing to pay it back,

but cannot afford to pay it back at the rate the SSA tells you about in our letter,

you should file Form SSA-632,

Request for Waiver of Overpayment Recovery Or Change In Repayment Rate.

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-632.pdf

Be sure to sign the form and return to any SSA office.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local SSA office serving your area.

59404

Here is the form to use

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-632.pdf

.

Address***** S. GREAT FALLS, MT 59405

Phone:1-877_583_4114 TTY:1-800_877_8339

Hours:

Monday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Tuesday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Wednesday9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Thursday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Friday9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

SaturdayClosed

SundayClosed

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.