Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a retired police officer in mass. i was disabled on…

Customer Question
I am a retired...

I am a retired police officer in mass. i was disabled on while working and subsequently retired on medical disability. at 63 i received a letter from ssa and started recieving ss at a reduced rate because i worked for a municipality. i was recently told that i should be receiving it in full because i was disabled

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/6/2018
Social Security Expert: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today :-)

How are you today. Whether or not you are receiving your "full" social security benefit or the benefit reduced as a result of working for a municipality depends on if you are eligible to draw benefits from your work for the municipality. If you are eligible for social security and draw it before you are eligible for your muncipal benefits, you will get your full benefit. Then, once you are eligible for your municipal benefit your social security is reduced.

If you were drawing ss disability, and did not have a benefit from the municipality available to you, then you could have been eligible to draw the entire benefit (until the point where the municipal benefit was available). If that's the case, you should visit your local office and talk to an agent about your claim, or call 1-***-***-****.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.