Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Pearl, I have questions about my husband's SS payment. We…

Customer Question
Hello, Pearl, Accountant's Assistant:...

Hello, Pearl,

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have questions about my husband's SS payment. We are married, 83 years of age, but living apart. He has Alzheimer's. His SS payment is $1680 a month and mine is about $1200.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

His daughter has his power of attorney and is his guardian. She receives his SS payment. I called several months ago to have that payment transfer to her. That did happen, but it has also been coming to me. I also called to find out whether I should be receiving any benefits from my deceased first husband's SS account and was told that I should. It doesn't appear to my that that has ever happened. This all needs to be straightened out. iI think SS has been making double payments on my current husband's account.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/4/2018
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 7 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. You cannot receive your husband's social security unless you are his legal guardian. But you can receive benefits based on his records, they are called spousal benefits and the benefits belong to you. If he has an ex-wife she could also qualify for benefits based on your current spouse's records, just like you qualify for benefits based on your own records, your previous spouse's records or your current spouse's records.

What kind of benefits are you currently receiving? You can only receive one type of benefits at the time. If you are getting benefits based on your current spouse's records and you believe that benefits based on your previous spouse's records would be higher, you can call the social security and switch.

It is highly unlikely that social security would double pay your current husband because the benefit are paid by social security number.