Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Received letter saying the new monthly is actually the same…

Customer Question
Received letter saying the...

Received letter saying the new monthly is actually the same as my present

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I didn't receive my 2% cost living raise

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/4/2018
Social Security Expert: emc011075, Tax Adviser replied 6 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Last year Medicare premiums were increased to $134 but for most people COLA (benefits cost of living adjustment) did not increase enough to compensate for the Medicare increase. Because of hold harmless rule protection social security could not reduce your benefits because of higher Medicare premiums so in 2017 you paid reduced Medicare premium. The COLA adjustment for 2018 is 2%, much higher than last year but if your Medicare premium is less than $134, the benefits increase will be offset by increased Medicare premium. Again, the Medicare premium increase cannot be more than your COLA increase because of the Hold Harmless rule protection.

Look at the last year Medicare premiums. Did the premium increase for 2018?