Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I received my "New Benefit Amount" notice and I have a

Customer Question
My name is***** received...

My name is***** received my "New Benefit Amount" notice and I have a question about my 2% increase,. My

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My name is***** I received my "NEW BENEFIT AMOUNT" information and my question is: If I was to receive a 2% increase in 2018 why is my increase from 2017 to 2018 only $3.00?

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/4/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

The short answer - most likely because your Medicare premiums are also increased.

That 2% COLA adjustments are applied to GROSS benefit amount - which increased by 2% - but because Medicare premiums and other possible withholding - that increase was not reflected on your net benefit amount.

We are talking about 2018 Medicare Part B Income-Related Monthly Adjustments Amounts (IRMAA)

The issue here is related to so-called "hold harmless" legal provision which protects the majority of retirees from increased Medicare Part B premiums if it would reduce their Social Security benefits.

That means - IF your social security benefits are NOT increased - Medicare premiums should NOT be increased either.

.

For instance - because there was no COLA adjustment for Social Security in 2016, Part B monthly premiums didn't go up that year and remained flat at $104.90 for most retirees.

in 2017 - the SSA gave recipients a tiny 0.3 percent COLA increase - and 2017 Part B month premiums rose to $109, for seniors covered by the hold harmless provision. But for others including those just started social security benefits - the full freight was $134.

For 2018 - the COLA is 2% increase - and those who paid $109 this year will pay $134 .

A small group receiving low social security benefits will still pay lower amount due to the hold harmless law.

But 70% of retirees will pay $134 a month for Medicare Part B premiums.