Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am working part time, S>S> coming out of my check. My

Customer Question
I am working part...

I am working part time, S>S> coming out of my check. My husband is deceased and I am drawing his S.S. What is happening to my money S.S. is taking out of my check.? How can I get the money you are taking out of my paycheck?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Are you talking about retirement accountant with S.S.?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/4/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 3 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Anyone who works in the US, unless you are in a state or local government position that doesn't pay IN to Social Security, pays Social Security taxes.

...

Not paying Social Security is tax evasion and is illegal, just as it is with income tax.

...

Social Security taxes go to fund Social Security for everyone. Social Security is a form of Social Insurance. Individuals who receive it get their taxes back in a few years and are getting free money for the rest of their lives.

...

But the most important issue here is that, just as with income taxes, Social Security taxes must be paid.

That does not seem fair. Why should I have to pay for other people. They can work just like I did for 50 years before drawing S.S.

I'm so sorry to e the messenger, but Social Security is not a pension. It's Social Insurance, a safety net ... HIGHLY skewed to those that don't have anything else at all.

...

Just as with income taxes, the taxes go into the pool and then are used to fund the program generally.

...

The formula that drives the amount we get IS loosely connected to earnings. First SSA calculates AIME (Average Indexed Monthly Earnings) which is your highest 35 years of earnings, indexed (inflated) to current dollars, then this number is ***** by three different percentage (which actuarial) give more weight to those that have nothing.

...

It might help to put things into perspective that SSA administers both Medicare and Medicaid.

...

I wish I could say differently , but that's just how things work in a entitlement based country. SO soorry.

...

Every cent of tax you pay (federal income tax, state income tax, Social security tax) goes to help everyone. It's not tied directly to you.

You can read more about how the benefit is calculated here:

...

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10070.pdf

...

Here's the legal citation for the requirement to pay those taxes

...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/3102

...

And here's a good overview of the taxes, and how they work generally. (Note that self-employed individuals pay BOTH halves of the tax - employee AND employer.)

...

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/081915/how-social-security-tax-calculated.asp

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit"That’s the only way I’ll be compensated for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS