Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My grandson receives his deceased mother's SS which is used…

Customer Question
My grandson receives his...

My grandson receives his deceased mother's SS which is used for his share of expenses. His dad now needs to get a different vehicle. Does my grandson have to pay 1/2 of the monthly payment as part of his share of the exenses

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Not that I' aware of.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/4/2018
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Your grandson is NOT required to pay any of specific family expenses.
Because your grandson is a minor and incapable of managing his Social Security payments - generally, a family member serves as his representative payees.

If you agree to serve as a representative payee, you’ve taken on an important responsibility that can make a positive difference in the beneficiary’s life.

First, you must take care of the beneficiary’s day-to-day needs for food and shelter.

Then, you must use the money for the beneficiary’s medical and dental care that’s not covered by health insurance.

You can also pay for the beneficiary’s personal needs, such as clothing and recreation.

After you’ve provided for the beneficiary’s basic needs, you may spend the money to improve the beneficiary’s daily living conditions or for better medical care.

You may also spend some of the money for the beneficiary’s recreation, such as movies, concerts, or magazine subscriptions.

You may want to make some of the following special
purchases for the beneficiary.
• A home — Use funds for a down payment. Use the money for payments on a house owned by the beneficiary.
• Home improvements — Pay for repairs and changes to make the beneficiary’s home safer and more accessible; for example, install a ramp or widen doorways for wheelchair access.
• Furniture — Buy furniture for the beneficiary’s personal use. You can buy items such as a television the beneficiary can share with others in the household.

• A car — Use funds for a down payment. Use the money for monthly car payments as long as the car is used for and owned by the beneficiary.

You must save any money left after you pay for the beneficiary’s needs, preferably in an interest-bearing account or U.S. Savings Bonds.