Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I live in Australia but served in the US Navy Seabees in…

Customer Question
I live in Australia...

I live in Australia but served in the US Navy Seabees in Viet Nam and am on 100 % disability from my cancer caused by agent orange. I have not worked enough quarters in the US to qualify normally. As a disabled x service man am I able to qualify for benifits?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/4/2018
Social Security Expert: Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 5 months ago
Dr. Fiona Chen
Dr. Fiona Chen, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Dear Customer,

According to the VA website, you should be able to qualify. There are various ways to apply. I would recommend to call the 800- number and talk with a VA benefit representative first. Of course you can initiate the application on line. But if you can, a phone call would be the best way to start. There is a medical examination requirement to determine the disability percentage. But the most important thing is to get your application process started. You are entitled to the pay and the medical services even you live overseas. I would think the medical examination is no problem just with some procedural and document requirement.

"If you’re a Veteran who lives overseas, you remain entitled to the benefits and services you earned through your military service. Most VA benefits are payable regardless of your place of residence or nationality. VA benefits include disability compensation, pension, education and training, health care, home loans, insurance, vocational rehabilitation and employment and burial."

The website links below are for your further references.

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/apply.asp

https://www.benefits.va.gov/persona/veteran-abroad.asp

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/claims-postservice-agent_orange.asp

Please feel free to follow up.

Regards,

Fiona Chen, MPA, Ph.D., CPA, ABV, CFF, CITP, IMTA

I did not ask about VA benifits as I said I am already getting 100 % disability payments from the VA but asked about US Social security benifits.

Dear Customer,

If you did not have enough hours put into social security administration for the SSA benefit, " I have not worked enough quarters in the US to qualify normally. As a disabled x service man am I able to qualify for benifits?", the VA benefit is where the compensation will come.

Regards,

Fiona

Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 5 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

As you might know - there is a so-called Totalization agreement between the US and Australia.

If you do not have enough work credits under the U.S. system to qualify for regular benefits, you may be able to qualify for a partial benefit from the U.S. based on both U.S. and Australian credits. Australian credits for this purpose include your periods of residence in Australia between age 16 and retirement age during which you were covered under the SG program or you were employed or self-employed.

To be eligible to have your Australian credits counted, however, you must have earned at least six credits (generally one and one-half years of work) under the U.S. system.

.

If you have earned enough work credits in the U.S. to qualify for a regular Social Security benefit and you also qualify for an employer-provided pension from Australia, including a pension that your employer is required to provide under Australia's SG program, the amount of your U.S. benefit may be reduced. This is a result of a provision in U.S. law which can affect the way your benefit is figured if you also receive a pension based on work that was not covered by U.S. Social Security.

Receipt of an Australian Social Security pension, which is based on residence in Australia rather than work, will not affect the way your benefit is figured.

I hope that helps.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.