Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I have been given to understand that if I was active

Customer Question
I have been given...

I have been given to understand that if I was active military between 1957 and 2001 I can apply for added money due to the fact I was in the military. This benefit was stopped after 2001 is this true? If so I understand I must go back down to SSA with DD214 to show them. I am on SSA retirement right now. And it this is true can I get back pay from SSA

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No not at this time

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/3/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My Lane’s Lane …

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice to clients on three continents since 1986.

If you’ll please bear with me for a minute I’ll type up my initial response, and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

That's right Special extra earnings credits are granted (additional earnings added to your SSA work record which will have the effect of raising your benefit a bit) for periods of active duty or active duty for training. Special extra earnings credits are not granted for inactive duty training.

...

If your active military service occurred

• From 1957 through 1967, they add the extra credits to your record when you apply for Social Security benefits.
  • From 1968 through 2001, you do not need to do anything to receive these extra credits. The credits were automatically added to your record.
  • After 2001, there are no special extra earnings credits for military service.

...

You should take your discharge paperwork to the local Social Security office. What you need to do is go over your earnings record with the folks at the Social Security Administration. If they haven’t credited you for the extra earnings and should have, they will. In that case, they will make up the lost benefits and pay benefits at a higher rate going forward, rather than paying anything retroactively.

...

Lane

What you should consider is calling the main 1800 number and getting the process started by telling them what you are doing. They will tell you what other documentation you need (by pulling up what they already have on you) and set the appointment to go into the office.

...

By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS