Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Why did I receive an increase in my ss monthly befit and my…

Customer Question
Why did I receive...

Why did I receive an increase in my ss monthly befit and my wife did not get a raise

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I received an increase on my monthly benefit My wife did not receive an increase thought every one receives a 2% raise

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Nothing I am aware of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/3/2018
Social Security Expert: Carter McBride, CPA replied 7 months ago
Carter McBride

Hey! I'm Carter, I'm a CPA and can help you out with this. So you are aware, Just Answer is not affiliated with the Social Security Administration.

A “hold harmless” provision in federal law prohibits Medicare from raising a person’s Part B premiums if it reduces their Social Security benefits. For the past two years, most Medicare beneficiaries have been held harmless because, without a significant COLA, increasing their premiums would have resulted in lower Social Security benefits. In 2018, the COLA will be large enough to allow for the increase in premiums. Medicare costs have grown very slowly in the past few years. This caused most people to not see any increase in their Social Security.

Hope that helps. If you need anything else, just let me know. If not, please leave a rating. Thanks!