Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Husband died in 1992. I collected his benefits from age 62…

Customer Question
Husband died in 1992...

Husband died in 1992. I collected his benefits from age 62 until 70. Then I collected only my benefits. I was told I am able to collect both my former husband and mine. Married 9/62. Divorced 11/81 Neither remarried. Thank you.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not to my knowledge. Thank you.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
1/3/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name’s Lane.

I hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986.

Bear with me just a moment and I’ll provide my initial response and then we can go from there if you have further questions on this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK

I'm so sorry, but that statement, although true, can be misleading.

...

You ARE eligible for both, but we cannot "stack benefits," as Social Security would say.

...

They will always take up To the highest benefit for which you're eligible, (by paying a combination of benefits),

...

But we cannot stack one benefit (in full) on top of the other.

...

(just wanted to be sure you understood that important distinction)

...

But yes, you ARE eligible for both, based on what you've said. So if you're work record retirement benefit is not the highest benefit, you should apply for the larger survivor benefit.

Please let me know if you have any questions. And if one of the benefits IS higher than your own, be sure to reiterate in the remarks section of your online application, that you are applying for the highest benefit to which you may be eligible. And I DO recommend that you use the online application for this reason. If you let the SSA worker take the application you don't have to control to do that.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit"– That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

I hope you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness (as opposed to any good news/bad news content). Thank you!

..

But again, if you need more on this, or if I've not understood your question correctly, please let me know.

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS