Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I need to transfer my account to a different bank. I have my…

Customer Question
I need to transfer...

I need to transfer my account to a different bank

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have my social security paid to a bank... I need to transfer to a different bank. because it is closer. can you help me?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Just trying to make this easier... new bank is in my area so better to fix a problem. tried to do online need help

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/3/2018
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 6 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

There are three ways to accomplish what you want.

1. The easiest way is to check with the bank where the new account is that you want your benefits deposited. The banks often offer this service for their customers.

2. You can call the Social Security Administration at 1-***-***-**** and ask them to make the change. The only problem with this is the wait on "Hold" can be very, very long. A better alternative is to either call or even visit your local Social Security office. Here's a link where, using your Zipcode, you can obtain the address and direct telephone number of the closest local Social Security office. They can make the change for you also. The link:

https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp

3. The last way, and most direct method if your bank doesn't offer the service is to make the change yourself online. Evidently, you had a problem trying to make the change this way. In order to do that you will need to go to ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security" account. Once you do that, you will see that there are a number of things you can do and information you can obtain through that website. One of the options is to change the bank account information where your benefits are deposited.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or need any further assistance.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,