Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

If a persons SS disability was taken away in midstream for…

Customer Question
If a persons SS...

If a persons SS disability was taken away in midstream for no apparent reason, and that decision was appealed, does the person continue to received their benefits, both medical and financial, during the appeal process?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My son has Crohns disease and other medical conditions. He received a letter in early December that his benefits were being discontinued, I believe sometime in February, like I said for no apparent reasons. His Crohns is not curable and he must have monthly Remicade injections. He has submitted an appeal, but wondering if his benefits will continue during the appeal process

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

My son is 44 years old. He is not going to get any better as Crohns is uncurable and he must have his monthly treatments

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
Social Security Expert: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

No, if they decided to stop benefits and the person appeals, they do not continue to get benefits pending the appeal. The person needs to appeal and needs to go through the appeal process and if they win their appeal, THEN SS will give retroactive benefits to the winning party. So your son would get all the money he should have received if he wins his appeal.

You need to get his appeal filed as soon as possible and pursue that reinstatement of benefits and they will award him retroactive benefits if he wins his appeal.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does SSA have a time frame in which to resolve appeals

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to say they do not have a time frame to resolve appeals and I have some cases that have taken over 12 months to get a disposition.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney