Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I retired from the Kansas City, Missouri School District. In…

Customer Question
I retired from the...

I retired from the Kansas City, Missouri School District. In speaking with others who retired from there, they are getting their full social security benefit. Mine was cut a lot. Should be $2,000.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My social security number is###-##-#### I started drawing Kansas City retirement in 1998. In 2010 I applied for my SS benefits. Unfortunately,

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Yes, everyone else that retired from Kansas City Missouri School System received their full benefit. I would like to receive mine.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/3/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

In the 1970s and 1980s, laws were passed that amended the Social Security rules to keep individuals from “double dipping” – receiving both a Social Security benefit and a pension from a job where they did not pay into the Social Security system.

...

These statutes (amendments to the Social Security act) created two rules that could impact your ability to claim your full Social Security benefit: The Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP) and the Government Pension Offset (GPO).

...

These provisions reduce (or eliminate) benefits for those who worked in a job in which they:

1. Qualified for a pension and
  2. Did not pay Social Security taxes.

...

Now, if you have 30 years or more of Social Security covered work. you can receive your FULL Social Security AND the teachers' pension.

...

If you have less than 20 years unde Social Security, the WEP can reduce your Social Security payment by as much as 1/2 of your teachers pension.

...

Between 20 and thirty years there's a prorated reduction that reduces to zero for every year worked under the system between 20 and 30 years. (Again, those that have 30 ears under Social Securkty get no reduction in benefits)

...

You can read more about the WEP from Social Security, by clicking HERE

I did retire from the Kansas City School system and paid in Social Security for the 13 years I was there. All other teachers regardless of time in that system received both their retirement and their full social security benefits. I wish to be treated fairly as is everyone else. Please call me at(###) ###-#### I feel you are to indifferent to my request for equal treatment under the law.

There is an additional charge for a phone consult.

But, either these individuals worked for 30 years under the SSA system (could be at the school, and/or other jobs) OR they are getting a reduction and just don't realize it OR they will be in for a big surprise when SSA hits them with a large over payment bill (which they are notorious for doing)

I am NOT indifferent. I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm just trying to help you understand.

...

How may years DID you pay into Social Security? If those 13 years plus other jobs equal 30 then there will BE no reduction in Social Security Benefits.