Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I applied for Social Security/Medicare just after I turned…

I applied for Social...

I applied for Social Security/Medicare just after I turned 66. Prior to that I had Anthem/Blue Cross for 20+ years through my employer. When my job was eliminated, 31 Dec 2016 I was given $10,000 and my medical insurance premiums to continue for 1 year, paid by my employer. I am now being penalized 6 months ineligibility for Medicare and 10% additional to my Part B copay ($13.40) every month for the rest of my life. I was unaware that filing was mandatory at 65. I thought continuing with my emplyee benefits was the right thing to do. Do I have any recourse?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

I was told to go to HSA and apply for Medical for the 6 month penalty period. That's all, I believe.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/3/2018
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

That is correct - most people should enroll in Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) when they're first eligible,

that is age 65 regardless if social security benefits are started or not.

Once the employment (or your employer/union coverage) ends - you have 8 months to sign up for Part B without a penalty.

When your job was eliminated, 31 Dec 2016 - you should have 8 months to sign up - until Aug 31, 2017.

As you missed that deadline - you do not have any recourse.

Sorry if you expected differently.

I have Part A...it's Part B that I am being penalized for.
Doesn't sound like I have any recourse. Life sucks like that sometimes.

Part A is free for most retirees - there is no premiums.

Part B is coming with premiums.

Sorry for your situation.

Please do not shoot the messenger.

Let me know if that helped you to understand your situation.

Okay...my employment ended on 12-31-2016. My employer continued paying for my medical insurance until 12-31-2017, as part of my employment severance. I applied for Medicare in Dec 2017. Doesn't that figure into your above comment?

When your employment ended on 12-31-2016 - that allowed you eight additional months to apply within SEP - special enrollment period - which ended on 08-31-2017.

Whatever your employer agreed to pay your medical insurance after your separation - that has no effect on Medicare premiums if you are no longer employed.

If you were applied within SEP - that will allow to use regular premiums for Part B.

Because you applied outside your SEP - that resulted higher premiums.

Sorry.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

NO RESPONSE????

Let me know if you are not able to see my reply?
Try to refresh your screen?

thank you.
Goodbye.

lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor