Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am 63 and due to medical reasons I am going to retire. I…

Customer Question
I am 63 and...

I am 63 and due to medical reasons I am going to retire. I just want to sign up for Social Security Benefits

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I don't know that there is more. I need to sign up for social security and I need to do it fairly quickly so I need some help.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

My husband is 66 and is retired and going on Medicare. He will be starting to take his Social Security in February. He is on IPERS and I am on TIAA.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/2/2018
Social Security Expert: jgordosea, Enrolled Agent replied 6 months ago
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

Since you are already age 62, you may be able to start your benefits in the month you apply. You should apply for benefits no more than four months before the date you want your benefits to start. Benefits are paid the month after they are due. (If your benefits start in April, you will receive your first benefit payment in May.)

There are several methods to apply.

In general, the documents you need may depend on the circumstances of your claim.

Please ask if you need more information or clarification.