Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How can I change direct payment to a new checking account? I…

Customer Question
How can I change...

How can I change direct payment to a new checking account?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I want to close the checking acc't that the direct deposit goes into now and open a new checking acc's

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

The account is under mine and my mother's name. I have guardianship on my Mother's affairs

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
1/2/2018
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane.

...

Please understand that you are not talking to Social Security here

...

This is JustAnswer.com ... a website that puts verified experts together with people who have questions about everything from Social Security, to tax, to finance, to the way these things work together.

...

I CAN, however, tell you exactly what your options are for getting this done. (You have THREE OPTIONS)

...

(1) ... You can use "MY SOCIAL SECURITY" an online account that allows you to get copies of your award letter/benefit verification letter, 1099-SSA, see your earnings record, get proof of benefits, and manage direct deposit.

...

You can go there, log in (or simply register, THEN log in, if you've never used it) and print your document(s) immediately.

...

Here's the site for that: click here for MY SOCIAL SECURITY

...

...

If you'd rather not use her online account, you have two other options:

...

(2) ... By calling 1-***-***-****, you can speak to a Social Security representative ... (Generally, you’ll have a shorter wait time if you call during the week after Tuesday) ... between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. They can help you with this.

OR

...

(3) ... You can go directly to the depository institution (bank, credit union, etc). They all have the forms to make this change ... (The bank where you want to deposit to now go)