Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I just had a friend call me and said her SS will be cut

Customer Question
I just had a...

I just had a friend call me and said her SS will be cut effective 01/03/2018. She does not know why. My question is has my SS been cut for any reason

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Is my SS going to be cut for 20`8 for any reason. Have not received any mail indicating it would be

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Yes my SS is all I get and have been very sick for 2 years now. I can't efford a cut for any reason

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
12/31/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 1 month ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Social security benefits may not be reduced.

Moreover - monthly Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits for more than 66 million Americans will increase 2.0 percent in 2018.

The 2.0 percent cost-of-living adjustment (COLA) will begin with benefits payable to more than 61 million Social Security beneficiaries in January 2018.

Increased payments to more than 8 million SSI beneficiaries will begin on December 29, 2017.

Note: some people receive both Social Security and SSI benefits.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why was hers reduced. Only income she has

If for any reason social security benefits are changed - increased or decreased - the SSA sends a letter with explanation and reasons.

It is possible that original calculations had mistake and it was corrected.

Also - there might be some additional deductions or withholding - for instance for Medicare premiums.

However the exact reason will be in that explanation letter.

So if your friend overlooked or misplaced that letter - I suggest to contact the SSA and ask for a copy.

I will verify and will help you with determination.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor