Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I want to give you my new address. I sold my home at 80

Customer Question
I want to give...

I want to give you my new address.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I sold my home at 80 Danita Ln., Roseburg, OR 97470 in Oct of 2017, then purchased one at*****Ave., Roseburg, OR 97470 the following month. I just rec'd my 2018 benefit statement which reminded me that I needed to inform you of the new address because it arrived at the old one.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Only the fact that even though I received a 2% increase it all went to Medicare as the benefit amount stayed the same as in 2017, but I suppose there is no help for that. It is just that it is not much to live on.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/31/2017
Social Security Expert: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to answer your question.

The best way to change your address for Social Security is online. You can go to MySocialSecurity and change it there. Here is the Link:

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

You simply log in, and change the information.

As far as your benefit goes, I have answered this question for dozens of clients. You were supposed to get a 2% increase in your basic benefit amount. However, the Medicare premium you pay went up an average of 20% and the prescription drug plan cost went up an average of 27%! So the increase that you got in your basic benefits was more than offset by the increase in the Medicare and prescription drug plan costs. I know of several clients, as well as my own parents, whose monthly checks actually went DOWN by $20 to $30.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend! And Happy New Year!