Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was out of the country for 9 years. I came back to the USA…

Customer Question
I was out of the...
I was out of the country for 9 years. I came back to the USA recently to apply for social security services and medicare benefits. They told me since I did not apply for medicare on my 65th birthday that I do NOT qualify for part B of medicare until one year after I signed up.
I did NOT KNOW anything about this while in another country for 9 years. I told them I need medical help and services from plan B now. I cannot hobble around on 2 bad hips until then. I told them had I known I had to sign up on my 65th birthday I would have flown back (no matter the expense & trouble
to sign up THEN. I would like to talk to a higher up official to explain this to them and ask for them to retroactively enroll me in Plan B of Medicare. I am signed up for Plan A but I REALLY NEED Plan B so I can visit the doctor and specialist NOW as I am below the poverty level and cannot just go see a doctor and specialist and have tests now, let alone pay for any operation to help my hips recover. Thank you for your quick reply to my Horrible Dilemma.
Dennis Owen Beal***@******.******@******.***(###) ###-####Who can I talk (what supervisors) about getting medical help NOW and not have to wait for nearly a year to get any help and struggle and hobble around in the meantime
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/30/2017
Social Security Expert: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

The reason you are not covered by medicare is because you worked on a non-US payroll for so long. It made no difference if you came back or not.

While Social Security vests and cannot be lost once you have 40 quarters of earnings, to keep Medicare you have to have 20 quarters within the past 40 quarters of covered work. That means you have to have 5 years working on a US payroll in the past 10 year period. The SSA considers about $1600 of earnings is equal to 1 quarter. So if you earn about $6,400, you have earned all four quarters in a year, even if you made this in one month. "Quarter" does not mean time, it means earnings.

I have been working with expatriate taxation for over 30 years. When I see someone on a foreign payroll, I usually suggest that before they are on it for 5 years they start reporting some self-employment income from a side job. They will pay about $975 in SE tax, but it will keep them on Medicare.

As far as getting Medicare without having to wait the one year, I have never seen it done. I do not think it is possible. You might consider contacting your Congressman (I am serious - it works with tax matters!), but I have not SSA grant Medicare without waiting the year. There are too many people who fall into your category, so if they make an exception for you they open themselves up for lots of claims. Also, SSA is going to say you made a good living working outside of the US, and you should have set something aside for this.

You might consider a private health insurance policy, that may be the cheapest and easiest route. I need both hips replaced, one has two cracks, both are missing most of the cartilage, and both have severe osteoarthritis. So I know the pain you are in (my ortho surgeon has put me on a drug called Limbrel, and it seems to be working as far as pain relief and gaining movement).

I hope that I have answered your question. IF you have any more, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend, and Happy New Year.