Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

At 50 years old, my brother started to receive disability…

Customer Question
At 50 years old...

At 50 years old, my brother started to receive disability checks. i will turn 62 in Feb. 2018 and got a letter form SS saying that my status will change to Social Security with no SSI benefit. i was receiving about $900 and now they say it will only be $337.00. It also says, I can apply for benefits. also asking if I agree. Just don't know what to advise him. he cannot survive with $337 in SF with this amount. he shares rent with someone and pays $400.00 monthly.

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

That's about it. Thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Social Security
12/29/2017
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 1 month ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today. Thank you for your question and let me know before you rate if I have not answered your question completely. Please give me a bit and I will draft you an answer.

Social Security does not convert from disability to retirement until full retirement age (age 67) and at that point the amount should stay the same. Per SSA: "If you’re receiving Social Security disability benefits, your disability benefits automatically convert to retirement benefits, but the amount remains the same." I assume that the letter from SSA was informing him of his retirement benefit at age 62 (which is reduced by the early retirement penalty which should reduce his amount by 35% at age 62). I would advise him to speak to SSA and do not elect to receive his benefits and continue to receive disability. He should clear up this issue with SSA as his amount should not be reduced.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This is the only way that I am compensated by the site for my time and this will cost you nothing extra. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to your answer. A 5 rating would be fantastic. Thank you for using justanswer.com. Please see link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Does that completely answer your question?

Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney