Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I plan to start drawing my social security next year. I do…

Customer Question
I plan to start...

I plan to start drawing my social security next year. I do plan to work part time, as well. I realize I am allowed to make $17,040 for the year of 2018. I will receive a check on January 10, 2018, for the pay period 12/16/17-2/31/17. Will the amount of this check count toward that $17/040?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I don't think so.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/29/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

For social security purposes - income is considered based on when it was earned - not when it was paid.

You will need to provide the SSA information regarding that specific payments and it will be excluded from 2018 countable income.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.