Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My wife is receiving social security presently, I am not.

Customer Question
My wife is receiving...

My wife is receiving social security presently, I am not. She is on the brink of death. What happens to her benefits?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What more do you need?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Not until the accountant tells me.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/28/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

Sorry for your situation...

When the person dies - the last social security benefits will be paid in the month of death (that is for prior month)

After that - some family members will be eligible for surviving benefits.

Your survivors benefit amount would be based on the earnings of the person who died. The more they paid into Social Security, the higher your benefits would be.

The monthly amount you would get is a percentage of the deceased's basic Social Security benefit. It depends on your age and the type of benefit you would be eligible to receive.

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older—100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60—full retirement age—71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;
  • Disabled widow or widower aged 50 through 59—71½ percent;
  • Widow or widower, any age, caring for a child under age 16—75 percent;