Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My prospective employer needs to run a background check, so…

Customer Question
My prospective employer needs...

My prospective employer needs to run a background check, so I was attempting to check my report online using the same services. It was unable to locate my social security number. Can you please help?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

When I search for my social security number at ssa.gov, it reports that it is invalid

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 3 days by:
12/28/2017
Social Security Expert: Patrick Mullis, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 months ago
Patrick Mullis
Patrick Mullis, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Many 3rd party background checking services (Good Hire / True Me ect) have a log in for the employee to see the progress of the background check. This can make the process a bit easier to go through. If the SSN you provided came back invalid more than likely they are going to run in to the same problem you have when trying to research that SSN. You can go to the state bureau of investigation and pay for a background search often with just a name or other limited information. Another way of seeing what an employer might find on a background check would be going to the county records division of your local sheriff's office or court house. This is a more detailed and thorough check and shows even minor offenses. These methods are much more reliable and accurate than the online sites that often have out dated and inaccurate information. You also may want to see what is report able in your state many states have laws against reporting offenses over a certain number of years. regardless I am sure if you go to the county records repository you will be able to get your accurate social security number. This will help you further you search if you wish. I hope this helps if so please rate me 5 stars. Good luck.