Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

THE amount I will receive in 2018 is the same as last year.

Customer Question
THE amount I will...

THE amount I will receive in 2018 is the same as last year. it says i should be getting 2% MORE.

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My # is***-**-****-A

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

Name carole j myslborski

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/23/2017
Social Security Expert: Christopher B, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Christopher B, Esq.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using justanswer.com. Give me a bit and I will draft an answer to your question.

I assume you are talking about the cost of living increase. The reason could be related to Medicare. Social Security has been limited by a little-known law called the hold harmless provision. This provision prevents Social Security recipients from getting smaller Social Security checks when monthly Medicare premiums go up. Typically, Medicare premiums are withheld directly from Social Security checks, so retirees see only the net amount left after paying their healthcare premium costs.

In 2016, there was no cost-of-living adjustment to Social Security, but Medicare premiums were slated to go up substantially. The hold harmless provision kept the cost for those affected at $104.90 per month for Medicare Part B in 2016, even though other Medicare participants paid a much higher $121.80 per month. That difference got even bigger in 2017. A small 0.3% COLA lifted the average amount that hold harmless recipients paid to $109 per month, but that was still far lower than the $134 per month that those who didn't get hold harmless protection paid. With the higher COLA in 2018 combined with no anticipated change in the Medicare premium, the typical recipient will see a $25 rise in Medicare premiums each month. That will take out most of the $27 boost from the COLA, and those with monthly checks below the average could see no net increase at all. That is where you most likely fit in. With the higher COLA in 2018 combined with no anticipated change in the Medicare premium, the typical recipient will see a $25 rise in Medicare premiums each month. That will take out most of the $27 boost from the COLA, and those with monthly checks below the average could see no net increase at all (again where you most likely fit in). I don't know the exact positions that you are in but this is the most likely reason you are seeing no increase in the amount of your check.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if you are satisfied. This is the only way that I am compensated by the site for my time and this will cost you nothing extra. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 next to your answer. A 5 rating would be fantastic. Thank you for using justanswer.com. See link on how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

DOes this completely answer your question?