Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband died 11-21-17 I went and applied for spousal

Customer Question
My husband died 11-21-17...

My husband died 11-21-17 I went and applied for spousal benefits.. I was told I would get his full amount and loose mine.. I get a letter from the ss office and I am only awarded 800.00 a month.. he was getting 1900 what can I do I need help

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

No I just need to have the help with this.. I am loosing my house and have to move because of the major cut

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/22/2017
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

It sounds like you may have applied for the wrong benefit (or they may have, yet again, screwed up)

...

the survivor's benefit (after a spouse passes) is different from the spousal benefit (while your spouse is living)

...

The survivor benefit amount depends on our age when you start taking the benefit.

..

These are examples of the benefits that survivors may receive:

• Widow or widower, full retirement age or older—100 percent of the deceased worker's benefit amount;
  • Widow or widower, age 60—full retirement age—71½ to 99 percent of the deceased worker's basic amount;

How old were you when you started the benefit?