Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am collecting SS from my deceased husband. Can I collect…

Customer Question
I am collecting SS...

I am collecting SS from my deceased husband. Can I collect from myself if I worked for approximately 15 years (all total)?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

About my work? My birthday is ***** by Southern Bell in NC from 1965 until 1976.Employed by Peavy Electronics in Decatur, MS for about 3 years, employed by Newton County for about 3 or 4 years. My SS# *****###-##-####

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?

Like what?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/21/2017
Social Security Expert: lev-tax, Tax Advisor replied 2 months ago
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor

You can earn a maximum of four credits for any year.

You must earn a certain number of credits to qualify for Social Security benefits. The number of credits you need depends on your age when you apply and the type of benefit application. No one needs more than 40 credits for any Social Security benefit.

So far - generally - if you have at least 10 years working under social security system - you would qualify for social security benefits based on your working record.

In additional - because you woudl start your own benefits after 70 - your benefits will be increased by additional 32%.

.

The question remains - if your own benefits woudl be larger compare to surviving spouse benefits which are based on your late husband's working record?

If yes - you may switch to your own benefits any time.

To verify that - you will need to contact the SSA.

Either you may call or visit a local SSA office.

Let me know your zip code and I will find a local office serving your area.

Cannot collect 2 SSI checks

Unfortunately - that is not allowed to collect two social security benefits at the same time...

But if you are eligible for both benefits - as in your situation - you may choose the larger of these.

lev-tax
lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor