Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I would like to have my wife enrolled for ss benefits. She…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to have my wife enrolled for ss benefits. She worked for 3 dentists in1966 and 1967.her

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

I would like to have my wife enrolled with social security for benefits.Her number is###-##-####Her name is***** My name is***** My number is###-##-#### I receive benefits monthly. Can you please help?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/20/2017
Social Security Expert: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

In order to qualify for Social Security benefits on your own work record, you must have 40 work credits, which is usually 10 years of working.

However, you wife can apply for benefits under your work record if she is at least 62 years of age and you are already receiving retirement or disability benefits. She will also qualify for Medicare at age 65.

She will have to apply for benefits at your local Social Security office. It is best to call Social Security at 1-***-***-**** between the hours of 7:00 am and 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday, to schedule an appointment at your local office.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

we live in Canada.We do not have a social security office. please advise.

I apologize, but I did not see the location was Canada. I will opt out so another expert can assist.

You do not have to respond to me.

Barbara, I just wanted to know how to apply for my wife. I am not happy paying for advice I do not need.
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi My name's Lane. I am a different expert.

...

(If the site makes one of those automated call offers, please disregard - Those do not come from me)

...;

First of all, for residents of Canada, you have special numbers and regional offices that can be called . the wait times are MUCH better than the 1-800 number that US residents must use.

...

Here's the directory - These are all offices in the US ... BUT designated offices for Canadian Residents.

(For residents of Alberta, for example, you'll use the Great Falls Montana office - And again, you are actually talking to the office )where we here in the U,S. cannot call an office directly)

...

https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/canada.htm

...

They can take the application over the phone and help you.

It's Barbara again.

Further research has revealed that

"The pension program of the United States is similar to the Canada Pension Plan and covers most persons who work in the United States.

To qualify for a benefit under the pension program of the United States, you normally must have contributed to the program for a minimum period.

If you have not contributed to the pension program of the United States for the minimum period, under the Agreement, the United States will consider periods of contribution to the Canada Pension Plan as periods of contribution under the pension program of the United States."

If you live in Canada and want to apply for American benefits, contact U.S. Social Security at 1-***-***-****. You do NOT contact regional offices in Canada when applying for US benefits under the Agreement between the U.S. and Canada.

The following link contains excellent information:

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-international/united-states.html

It would be well worth the time and effort to determine if your wife is entitled to receive benefits.

Thank you.

Barb