Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

How can I sign up for SS on line? I am 65 will be 66 in

Customer Question
How can I sign...

How can I sign up for SS on line?

Accountant's Assistant: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am 65 will be 66 in March 2018 and want to sign up for SS effective january

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Social Security
12/20/2017
Social Security Expert: keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner replied 7 months ago
keeperumiami
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner

Hello, my name is***** goal is to give you a complete & accurate answer. I am working on your request now & I will respond as soon as possible.

In order to sign up for Social Security benefits online, you need to go to ssa.gov and set up a "My Social Security" account. Once you do that, you will see all the links available to do a number of things relating to Social Security information & benefits and data related to your specific situation.

I'll give you a link to the page where you need to start the application process.

Also, when you say that you want to sign up for benefits "effective" in January 2018, do you realize that your benefits will be permanently reduced by up to approximately 1/3 of 8% as you will be collecting benefits 3 months prior to age 66, depending up the actual dates involved.

(The 8% is the annual figure that benefits are permanently reduced or increased for benefits collected before (from age 62 to 66) or after full retirement age (to age 70).

Here's the link referred to above:

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement/

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Please remember to rate my response as that is the only way the site will credit me for assisting you today.

Thanks very much,