Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I am a vetof 7 years and do I need to keep medicare? I go to…

Customer Question
I am a vetof...

I am a vetof 7 years and do I need to keep medicare? I go to the VA for all my med needs. Ray

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I want to know if I must keep medicare or can I drop that and just have the VA benefits which I have been going to cinse 1995..

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Social Security
Answered in 5 days by:
12/25/2017
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 6 months ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Hi, my name is***** .I have been practicing SS LAW full time for 12+ years, exclusively, and look forward to assisting you.

Whether you keep Medicare is a personal choice. It covers you for things outside of the VA system that you may need to use at some point. If you drop it and decide you want it later, you will be subject to a premium hike of 10% PER year that you failed to have it. The obvious plus to dropping it is the savings of 134/mo. However....

AARP reports the following considerations you should make before deciding:

• "Medicare Part B insurance helps pay for doctors’ services and outpatient care. It will cover you if you have an emergency and are taken to a non-VA hospital. Without Part B, you might have to pay some of those costs yourself. In future years, you also may have need to use medical providers outside the VA system. Those costs would be covered by Medicare.
  • VA medical care depends on an annual congressional appropriation. There’s no guarantee that the VA will always receive enough funds to provide care for all veterans.
  • Although the VA is not permitted to bill Medicare for the care it provides you, it is allowed to bill your Medicare supplemental (Medigap) insurance plan. If you have both Medicare and a Medigap policy, it could provide you with valuable health insurance package.

If you are "a low-income person, you may be able to get help paying your Part B premiums through the state-run Medicare Savings Program. Go to this Medicare webpage to find out which agency in your state runs the program."

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me with 5 stars when you are done. It costs nothing extra but tells company to give mecredit for my assistance to you today. I look forward to assisting you inthe future, should you have legalquestions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!